Hanauma Bay

 


Hanauma Bay although an extremely crowded touristy attraction is one of my favorite spots on the island to snorkel. This surprises a lot of people because as someone who lives on the island it is known that islanders tend to stay away from the more touristy attractions. I am generally on board with this but certain parts of the island I cannot ignore like Hanauma Bay. 

My love for Hanauma Bay is never experiencing the same snorkel scenario twice. There is an abundance of fish species and the quantities of those species is different each time. I may go and see 2 different eel species one time and no eel species the next. It reminds me of the ol' Forrest Gump saying, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." This is really true each time I go to experience Hanauma Bay. I am such a nerd when it comes to the ocean that I always play a game/educational tactic with myself and that is to spot a fish and identify which species it is. This makes it fun and also a challenge. 

In all the times I have been to this beautiful bay I have only seen 1 sea turtle and no sharks. I like to go out deep when the water is calm and keep to myself. Two times I have spotted Hawaiian monk seals. One was sleeping on the beach against the rocky cliff and the other was swimming in a really shallow part of the bay surrounded by people which struck me as very odd at the time. 

In the video above I am filming a wrasse buddied up with a parrotfish who I see guaranteed every time I visit and it never fails that they are always together. I believe it is because they have a symbiotic relationship (beneficial to each other). You can always be sure to see the Hawaii state fish in abundance and many more... It is worth the trip to visit this marine sanctuary.





Comments

  1. Hi Michelle! I have been to Hanauma Bay when I was little and driven past by there while touring the island with my parents. It is very beautiful over there and you can go swimming and snorkeling there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!! I enjoyed to read your post! I have been to Hanauma bay a couple of time. I really like there because there is very safe, and I think that people should use the beach more clean. I really want tp go to the beach as soon as possible. - Shio Kondo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You take great photos on your adventures! Thank for sharing them. That's something I wish I did more- I feel like I always get caught up in the moment and forget to take pictures! I love having them to look back on, it's really special. It's hard not to love any of the spots you've gone to that you've shared so far. I am glad you take time out of your life and responsibilities to enjoy nature!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Michelle! These are very nice pictures. I haven't gone to Hanauma Bay in years. I remember one time I had gone snorkeling with my family, I was so freaked out by all of the fish that were so close to me that I had to take a few minutes out the water! Now, i'm sure if I went again i'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never gone snorkeling before, but by looking at your photos this seems like a fun experience where there is a whole new adventure waiting to be seen. I like the look of all those fish which are so different from each other. The diversity that exists within that place really captures my attention to the various species living there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Open Water Shark Dive

Humpback Whales & Their Babies!!! 🐋🐋🐋