The Colorful World of Sea Slugs

Before I learned about the colorful world of sea slugs when I heard them mentioned, nothing exciting came to my mind, until I started diving deep into their world... the world of Nudibranchs.

Nudibranchs - Pronounced: New-dee-branks

These tiny ocean invertebrates although colorful, pack a bigger punch then one would expect. Let me show you the way into their world on this week's blog. 







Notice all the bright colors and odd shapes in the photos you just saw? That is only the tip of the iceberg as there are more than 2,000 different species of nudibranchs all over the world with each of them offering something unique. 

These sea slugs have no shells and soft bodies so how do they protect themselves? Well some of them eat certain marine life that have defense mechanisms already such as stinging cells and when ingested the nudibranchs actually take on those stinging cells to make them their own to use in turn as defense! 

The lifespan of nudibranchs can vary depending on species between a few weeks to a year only. They are hermaphroditic but cannot fertilize themselves so they still participate in mating. They can be found mostly in warm waters so they are located here in Hawaii. Every time I go out diving or snorkeling I search for them with no luck yet. One time on Maui I thought I saw a purple one but the waters were too rough and I had lost sight of where I had initially seen the glimpse of purple coloring and was unable to relocate it. To this day I am continually searching for a nudibranch. 

Comments

  1. The one at the top is really cute! And the blue dragon looks really cool although I read that a sting from one of them could be similar to a Portuguese man o' war.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Open Water Shark Dive

Hanauma Bay

Humpback Whales & Their Babies!!! 🐋🐋🐋